Changed to fixed IP on Linus box and broke Windows Networking????? Help!

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 3 23:59:48 UTC 2007

Stephen wrote:
> I have a Linux (Ubuntu) machine which is largely a server (apache,
> samba) and all was well when I had it set to dhcp.
>
> I want to access from outside, so I changed to fixed IP and now I
> cannot see it from XP machines, and the Linux box cannot see the XP
> machines?
>
> Pings work fine.
>
> Any and all ideas welcome!

What are the IP address and subnet mask for each computer?

Do you use the hosts files for mapping name to IP?  If so, did you
update them.

At the command prompt in Windows enter "net view".  What do you see.

At the shell prompt in linux, try smbclient -L hostname.  If that
doesn't show anything, use the IP address in place of the hostname.