Best tools for making a spider?

Zoltan (ZEE4) zhunt-KdxWn004MjY at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 3 21:52:52 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> This isn't meant to start a flamewar, honestly.
>
> I'm just wondering if there are some languages that are either
> optimized or otherwise more suitable than others for the specific task
> of writing a specialized web spider.
>
> So far the people I've spoken to say this is a perfect task for Ruby,
> but I don't know it at all. There is no previous baggage on this
> particular project so we can choose any tool we want -- but once
> chosen I'd like to stay with it. Having some existing open source
> templates or existing code to build upon is always nice too.
>
> I'm not going to be the programmer (we do want working code, after all
> :-) ) but I do have some say in the tech to be used. Any suggestions
> or pointers of where to explore this particular question are appreciated.
>
> - Evan

Googling "php pear spider" or "php spider" turns up a bunch of results.
I'd take a look at some of these projects for ideas. Also, the reason I
included "pear" in the search is that the pear library (pear.php.net)
has a lot of pre-written code for all kinds of things, including networking.

Zoltan

www.yyztech.ca - reviews. news. cybercafes.