MythTV - Frontend

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 3 20:00:55 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 12:01:50PM -0500, Merv Curley wrote:
> I am now ready for Step 2.  I have a Frontend and Backend running on a
> computer courtesy of MythDora.  I got that going when KnoppMyth baffled me.
> Not that it takes much.
>
> Anyway I have this computer over in a corner of the basement and thought it
> might be nice to have TV available here. So all I need is a Frontend I
> gather. So far I haven't found the Deb's for mythtv which I gather are around
> somewhere. I did DL a Mythtv ver 20a and will compile it if necessary but
> since I only need the one module that seems a big job.

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main (change sid to whichever
version you use).  Has mplayer, mythtv, etc.  It is what I use for my
debian mythtv system.

> I looked at LinPVR but that seems technically unfeasable and overkill. I
> wonder if I really need to load a full distro just to get a Frontend. Can't I
> just install the one part of Mythtv and have it logon to my existing backend
> server?

Yes you can.  The front end and back end are seperate packages.  You do
need to know the mysql password and port numbers and IP of the backend
machine in order to access it.

> I am not sure if I need much disk space on a Frontend client, doesn't the
> backend handle all the recordings from all clients?  So much stuff is
> unclear. I now have 2 PVR-150's in my Backend, so that should handle 2
> clients I think. Do I need a PVR for each client? I read on a mailing list
> somewhere of one user who had the equivalent of 5 PVR-150's in his machine.

Shouldn't take very much space.  You can have as many tuners in one
backend as you want, and I believe you can even have multiple backends
talk to each other and share scheduling and such.

--
Len Sorensen