web-security methods, advice please!

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 3 03:09:09 UTC 2007

James Knott wrote:
>> This is my own company though that I am starting on a shoe-string
>> budget. There are many things I should be contracting out, not least
>> being security, but I simply can't afford to do this at this point
>> (though I may well later if/when business picks up).
>>
>> So for now, I am hoping that my prying questions will close at least a
>> few of the holes I have certainly missed. :)
>>

> One thing to bear in mind, is that you can never prove a system to be
> secure.  You can only fail to break in.  There have been many times in
> the past, when someone insisted they had a secure method.  The only
> reason they could make that claim, was they didn't know enough about
> possible failures to recognize them.  Even with widely scrutinized open
> source security methods, such as PGP etc., there is no proof that it's
> secure, only that despite all that inspection by experts, no one's yet
> found a way in, and so it's presumed to be secure at the moment.

Heh, I've learned enough humility through the years to know that I know
just enough to get myself in healthy trouble. :) It's also why I am
looking for feedback and advice. I know that, if my company does well
down the road, I might have enough potential "goodies" for a cracker to
take interest and spend some time on getting in. If someone gets root
shell access (the db runs under a different user than the webserver), I
figured the gig is up anyway. Given that, I want to protect from the web
interface. So I want to lay an at least half-decent ground work now
rather than wait until I get cracked before realizing "nows the time". :p

Madi