Another Marcel Book

Marcel Gagne mggagne-oUREY1nl/XXQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 2 14:27:30 UTC 2007

Hello John (and others),

Happy New Year!  Just catching up on email after ignoring it for the holidays.

On Monday 25 December 2006 12:24, John Myshrall wrote:
> During my daily check on Groklaw, I saw this. Congrats Marcel on another
> fine book !

Thank you. This is a great little review (a review of three books, no less)
but particularly good to me [ insert appropriate smiley here ].

What's interesting is that review comes out within a few days of my latest
book being released . . . yes, I now have six books out. The new one (if I
may be allowed a moment of shameless self-promotion) is called "Moving to
Free Software".  This one is a real stretch for me since it covers free
*GASP!* Windows software. With two exceptions, the packages covered all open
source and mostly GPL.

Those of you who follow my ramblings know that I believe in what I like to
call "transitional applications", open source software that may have been
written for the Linux platform, but that is also available for Windows. I
figure if people aren't willing to switch to a Linux desktop right away,
perhaps I can get them using the same software on their Windows systems. Or,
to put it another way, change is difficult for people. As with any dangerous
addiction, quitting cold turkey isn't easy which is why there are products
like nicotine gum and the patch -- these are a smoker's transitional
applications. So it is with moving from Windows desktops to Linux desktops.

When people finally get tired of the viruses and spyware (adware, etc), they
will find that their new Linux system uses all the software they have grown
accustomed to. If you want to hear me preach (or read me preaching) on this
topic, you can either buy the book, or check out one of the many articles
I've written on this subject [ yet another smiley goes here ].

All in all, this is a great book to give to those people who just can't kick
the Windows habit quite yet.  Check out yon URL for links to your fav
e-tailers.

     http://www.marcelgagne.com/mtfs.html

> I guess I'll have to buy this one to keep the collection going.  Will
> you be at the next Linux expo in Toronto ? My mini Linux library thus
> far has been quite useful for educating people new to Linux.
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20061225020125627

Thanks for the Groklaw link as well. Always good to see nice things being said
about your work.

Take care out there.

--
Marcel (Writer and Free Thinker at Large) Gagné
Note: This massagee wos nat speel or gramer-checkered.