web-security methods, advice please!

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 1 02:55:08 UTC 2007

Sy Ali wrote:
> On 12/31/06, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>    I am not a cryptologist (or particularly good at math) and make no
>> claims to be a security expert of any kind. So please be brutal and
>> honest with my plans (a cracker would)! :)
>> <snip>
>> Again, *Please* be brutal on your critiques of my methods. If my
>> thinking is flawed, I would be grateful to learn now rather than
>> later. :)
>
> I'm not in a position of expertise, but i want to give you the very
> first thing that lept to my mind..
>
> Unless I'm missing something.. if you're not an expert, you shouldn't
> play at being one when security is in question.
>
> Having said that, is it possible for you to either contract this
> portion of the coding out to an expert or either re-use or buy
> existing, tested and trusted code for your own purposes?
>
> At the very least, this helps you cover your behind..

Wise advice, certainly. :)

This is my own company though that I am starting on a shoe-string
budget. There are many things I should be contracting out, not least
being security, but I simply can't afford to do this at this point
(though I may well later if/when business picks up).

So for now, I am hoping that my prying questions will close at least a
few of the holes I have certainly missed. :)

Happy New Years!

Madi