Can't Write to External Drive From User Account

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 26 03:58:53 UTC 2007

On 2/25/07, Glen Strom <gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I don't know if this might be a Slackware-specific problem or a general
> permissions problem with some small thing I've overlooked. Does anyone
> have a suggestion?

I don't see anything that sounds overtly wrong...

What I would suggest is that you create a subdirectory on the new
filesystem, as root, and chown that to an ordinary user account.

The essential trouble is that a mount point, once a filesystem is
mounted on it, has a pretty "rooty" flavour to it...
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)