Electronic Name Badges.

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 24 18:51:00 UTC 2007

Colin McGregor wrote:
> Problem, I have aquired some 16 character x 2 line LCD
> display modules, but no data sheets. The modules have
> on them the following markings:
[snip]
> It seems there is a fairly standard pin-out sequence
> for LCD modules, with 14 or 16 pins (the 16 pin
> modules use the extra 2 pins to power the LCD
> back-light). A problem as my module has 15 pins. Other
> stuff, the module has a Hitachi HD44780S chip on it
> that I gather is the basis for many "smart" LCD
> modules, so I assume the commands to control this
> module are fairly typical, but...
>
> Anyone know what the pin-outs are for this modules, or
> does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should
> procceed?

It is pretty common to find a 44780 used as the controller for character based
LCD's. You can find the "How to control a HD44780-based Character LCD" at
http://home.iae.nl/users/pouweha/lcd/lcd.shtml which includes some information
about standard pinouts.

If your device has 15 pins, its possible that it just using the LCD backlight
positions to provide a key for the cable that will connect to the board.
Variations on some LCD's are the 14/16 lines in a row or as a 7x2/8x2 block.

Just wish I could remember where my box of 15 or so 16x2 (or are they 20x2?)
LCD modules are located.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.