Detecting increased RAM in Debian Sarge

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 22 17:42:15 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Meng Cheah wrote:

>> $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep HIGHMEM
>>
> /proc/config.gz does not exist in my system.
> My kernel is 2.6.8-2-386.

Look at /boot/config-2.6.8-2-386.  The copy under /proc mentioned above is
the copy of the running kernel whereas the copy under /boot is a reference
allowing you to recreate a kernel with the same parameters.  Unless you've
reconfigured and recompiled your kernel and copied the new config back to
this file it will be equivalent to what is running.

You're running the default install kernel btw.  A packaged kernel designed
for your architecture may well have HIGHMEM set already.

Checkout the packaged kernels available here:

aptitude search kernel-image

Read up, keep recovery media handy, and maybe talk to us before upgrading
the kernel.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073