Astronomy migration to Linux

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 22 12:21:49 UTC 2007

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> This is an email in the RASC newsgroup regarding migrating to Vista vs
> using Linux. It would seem that many of the programs used to do amateur
> astronomy are available for Linux or run under Wine.
>
> I think we're going to see a lot of this type of migration, even in
> specialized fields such as this one.

Of course, Unix was the astronomy OS for many years.  I also saw a
glimpse of SUSE Linux on a Nova program about an interplanetary probe, a
while ago.  And, if you watch closely in the movie "Contact", there's a
scene where you can see a "Unix party" button stuck on a computer
monitor.  So, this is just a case of people going back to what has
worked well before.