Rackable monitor and keyboard

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 20 15:26:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 03:37:17PM +0300, Kihara Muriithi wrote:
> I am shopping for a rack console and from  the look of it,  its not that
> easy to get the pertinent details. For example most specs sheet don't tell,
> for example the maximum ports the monitor can handle, OS compatibility etc.
> Is it necessary to worry about or are these details determined by the KVM
> switch? If anyone here has done this shopping, what would one recommend -
> i.e the best deal.

Well my experience has shown that some units do a terrible job emulating
a ps/2 mouse, which unfortunately an awful lot of units still think is
the correct way to run a mouse.  Really what you want is USB for the
mouse since it is supposed to be hotplugable and the systems don't mind
a usb mouse appearing and disappearing.  Something that supposed DVI
might be starting to be relevant with the way monitors are going.  Of
course it should preferably do both analog and digital on DVI so that it
works with everything, although if you have a digital only monitor then
the systems better all do that of course.  Not sure if servers have
started having DVI yet.  Some units support remote access via ethernet
or such, which I guess is handy for some people (never tried such a
thing myself), and some allow multiple units to be linked so that the
keyboard shortcuts pass through multiple units as if they were all one
large KVM.  For compatibility, the only issue I have ever seen is with
the ps/2 mouse port.  I guess the choice of keys for the keyboard
shortcuts could be an issue on some, but they usually offer a few
choices so you can pick something that doesn't interfere with keys you
need.

--
Len Sorensen