Django Presentation at PyGTA Meeting on Feb. 20

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 19 14:11:38 UTC 2007

Hello,

I thought this might be interesting for some on this list.

I will be presenting an overview of the Django web framework
<http://djangoproject.com> at the monthly PyGTA (Greater Toronto Area
Python user group) meeting on Feb. 20. Django is represented as
being "The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines." In my
experience, that is an apt description. I have found it to be
coherent, powerful, well-documented, and very approachable. The
support one can get on the Django IRC channel (irc.freenode.net,
#django) and the Google Group
<http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/> is very good. There is
an on-line book at <http://djangobook.com>, which fleshes out the
documentation on the main site
<http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/> and the Wiki
<http://code.djangoproject.com/>.

When
----
Feb. 20, 2007 - 6:30 p.m. - informal part of the meeting where we can
get  (non-alcoholic) drinks and socialize
7:00 p.m. - formal part of the meeting starts (formal wear not
required)
Between 8:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. - wrap up and go to a nearby restaurant
for beer, ice cream, hot chocolate, nibbles, sparkling conversation,
etc.

Where
-----
LinuxCaffe <http://linuxcaffe.ca/location>
326 Harbord Street,
Toronto, ON, M6G 1H1
416-534-2116

It is one block south of the Christie subway station for those who
will be taking TTC. There is plenty of parking in the area for those
who will be driving.

Synopsis
--------
I will provide an overview of how to set up the development
environment and then show the code behind a site that I am working
on. The site is simple enough that it will not require a deep
understanding of the business rules to understand how things work. I
will flip back and forth between the public face of the site, the
auto-generated admin interface, and the code that I have written in
order to show the relationship between them.

If you do not know Python at all but have some programming experience,
you should still be able to follow along. I meet many people on
#django, especially PHP refugees, who are learning Python while they
are learning Django so it is quite feasible.

If you plan to attend, please let me know so that I can let David at
LinuxCaffe know how many people to expect.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation