funny hard drive "activity"

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 17 03:44:14 UTC 2007

> On 2/16/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Cron running updatedb?

I just checked - slocate is running weekly.

On 2/16/07, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Fedora likes to run makewhatis and prelink at the most inopportune times
> once a day. Both use lots of CPU and acess the disc... Something to
> check, not sure if PCLOS (if that's what you still use) has those set to
> run.

Yep, I'm still using it.

makewhatis is running daily and weekly (I've no idea why)

I don't see prelink

The only thing running hourly is msec.

perhaps it was something stupid like skype constantly trying to
reconnect to a nonexistant net connection and it getting logged.

On 2/16/07, Chris F.A. Johnson <cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>     Use top and/or ps to see what processes are running.
>
>     Use lsof to see what files are open.

lsof is a nice idea, but it seems to be overkill with so much info..

Top wouldn't be useful since there's no logging.  I'd have to log back
in, and in that moment I'd bet that whatever process is being naughty
would slink off into a dark corner.