event at linuxcaffe; OpenStreetMap weekend

Steve Harvey sgh-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 16 00:23:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 05:09:16PM -0500, Interlug Lists wrote:
> You can see the results of the recent London Mapping Party, including an
> animation, here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/London_mapping_party
> There will be a similar report for Toronto.

  I don't like raining on people's parade, but isn't most of the work
already done and freely available (thanks to our tax dollars)?

http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/data/nrnc1.html

  Are people really objecting strongly enough with the terms of the
license (linked to by the above) to want to duplicate the effort?  I
have worked with some of that data and other than new developments,
back lanes and the odd missing street or sidewalk mistakenly included,
it is fairly complete.  Of course, street names and numbers and
features such as buildings of interest are absent and producing a
database of annotations would seem to be a useful project :-)