event at linuxcaffe; OpenStreetMap weekend

Interlug Lists interluglists-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 15 22:09:16 UTC 2007

On 2/15/07, Ian Petersen <ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > Don't know if I missed the e-mail or not but I don't recall seeing a
> summary
> > of how the OpenStreetMap event. How many people turned out? How much of
> > Toronto (and/or nearby areas) got mapped?

You can see the results of the recent London Mapping Party, including an
animation, here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/London_mapping_party
There will be a similar report for Toronto.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's happened yet.  It's supposed
> to be this coming Saturday, I think (Feb. 17, 2007).

The Toronto Mapping Weekend is coming up this weekend.  There will be a
presentation "Introduction to OpenStreetMap" at 11:00am Saturday and 11:30
am Sunday.  This presentation is suitable for those with no OSM experience.
It runs about an hour, depending on questions.  Come along for the Intro if
you have any interest in GPSes, maps, geo-caching, geo-tagging photographs,
or even cool open source / open data projects.  So, one major goal is to
build interest in OSM for new participants.

The other major goal is to collect and create more OSM data in and around
Toronto.  The weekend is also suitable for current OSM contributors.  Show
up early so we can get you out and mapping during the Intro.  We'll have
morning, early afternoon and late afternoon mapping sessions.  We have lots
of mapping available to suit your mapping interests: urban, suburban,
highway, and your mode of transport: vehicle, bicycle, foot, skateboard,
dogteam. As long as the weather cooperates.

Novice OSMers will have a chance to work with the OSM software tools with
experienced users around for tips and advice.