First impression of Vista

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 15 18:30:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 09:06:42PM -0500, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> Thanks for your impressions on it. Good to hear about things from those who
> use a product. I don't plan on getting it any time soon even if I had a
> machine that could run it.
>
> BTW, be careful about saying you are running Vista in a virtual machine.
> From what I have heard, that is a violation of the Vista EULA. :-)

Only for _some_ versions of vista.  They did realize developers need
virtual machines.

So as far as I understand the EULA, you may not install Vista Home Basic
and Premium on a machine and use it inside a virtual machine as well.  I
can't quite make out if they think it is ok to only have it installed
inside a virtual machine.

Vista Ultimate may be installed on a machine and also inside a virtual
machine on that same machine, but you can't do anything involving DRM
inside the virtual machine (I have no idea why).

Vista Business is like Ultimate as far as I can tell.

Vista Enterprise (which of course you can't go and buy individually) is
allowed to be installed on a machine and have up to 4 virtual machines
running it too on the same machine used by the same person only.

--
Len Sorensen