event at linuxcaffe; OpenStreetMap weekend

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 15 11:53:27 UTC 2007

On Wed Feb 14,2007 11:22:16 AM John Vetterli wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience trying to connect a Garmin eTrex
> GPS to linux?

I've connected my eTrex Venture Cx to linux machines. The unit was
recognised and connected to gpsd, but I haven't done much with it.

You shouldn't have problems. Garmin units are suppored in Linux both
through serial and USB interfaces and using both the NMEA and Garmin
proprietary protocols. There are many applications available.

For the purposes of the OpenStreetMap event:
Some later Garmin units with USB can be put into mass storage mode.
You can then just read the track files as if the unit was a portable
USB drive or flash drive. Also, if you have a Garmin unit with a SD
or microSD card, you can remove the card and read the track files
using a card reader.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **