time sinchronization

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 15 06:09:01 UTC 2007

Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Ken Burtch wrote:
>
>> I go right to the official source: time.nrc.ca, the National Research
>> Council of Canada's atomic clock.
[snip]
> Your ISP should have an NTP server and that's the one to use.  NTP is
> smart enough to adjust for delays introduced in transmission between
> time servers so there is no advantage in using a tier 1.

I tend to use one of the three time time_?.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov servers (where
? is one of a, b, or c IIRC). So far, it has been the only time server that
sets my clock to within a fraction of a second to the time I hear from WWV
(via shortwave) which comes from the atomic clock of the NIST in Boulder, CO.

IIRC, when I tried using nrc.ca as a time server, my computer's clock was less
in sync with either the WWV or CHU Canada shortwave time signals. Most people
don't need the clocks that closely set to UTC/GMT time. As a ham radio
operator and shortwave listener, there are times I want the time on my
computer to be as accurate as possible.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.