Whenceforth the Ubuntu fanboyz now?

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 15 02:34:25 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Stephen Allen wrote:

> Yeah I don't think the Linux desktop is ever going to be reality. It

I think you've made the same fundamental mistake as so many others.
Assuming that there is some fundamental need that will make one desktop
win over another.  A common question in industry rags is "Is Linux desktop
ready?".  The question is meaningless as it is too general.  The only
viable question is "Is Linux desktop ready for $USER" where $USER may be
Bob the butcher, Sally the accountant or a whole class of users in a
particular industry.  The answer is entirely subject to how you set $USER.

A Linux desktop is a reality because it is available and it is used by
many people.  Different people have different needs.  I've been using
Linux on the desktop since 1994 & exclusively since 1996.  This is not as
unusual as some may think.  For me a Linux desktop has been a reality for
13 years, and it is so because it fulfills my needs.  It may not fulfill
yours but that's ok too.

Will we reach a point in which most people (or even many people) run Linux
on the desktop?  Maybe not but that is entirely different to suggesting
that a Linux desktop is not a reality because it is.  I'm typing this now
from pine in a window managed by fvwm2.

So long as open standards exist there need not be one all pervading
desktop, Linux or otherwise.  Microsoft has a desktop monopoly right now.
Once this monopoly is broken[1] I hope we never see another desktop
monopoly again.

Remember too that the desktop of today did not exist 40 years ago.  It may
not exist in another 40, except in a computer museum.

[1] This will happen eventually as forever is a long time.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073