now OT: Re:PCB tools for Linux (was Whenceforth the Ubuntu fanboyz now?)

tleslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 13 19:53:28 UTC 2007

Speaking of PCB,
what is the finest pin pitch (or one can list pacakge)
that one has been able to sucessfully place and solder on a PCB
without resorting to a automated expensive sol'n but rather
a tech that is hobbyist  based, i.e. soldering iron, oven, etc?

just interested in anyone experiences, as I would like to
build a PCB using a  Xilinx coolrunner CPLD   and maybe a FPGA
and they have PLCC versions but they are WAY big,
then they have ball versions and quad packs. with ultra fine pin
pitches, and I would like to go really fine, but this seem like
it would be trying to thread a needle with welding gloves on and
looking through a stain-glass window whilst doing it, unless
they make one hell of a fine soldering iron and a soldering application
method for this fine work? I read somewhere about tin'ing plating and
and a oven, not sure if that's a tale or not.

I know one can ship this stuff out pretty economically but I am
intetrested in a lot of home tooling around with many pcb's,
so i am thinking of getting a home milling machine (modified roland)
that can do .01" traces and spaces, and assuming it does a good job,
then placement and soldering is my only worry.

Any real life experiences? mail me off list if like, I am interested in
anyone experiences.

-tl