Small format factor 486-PI/PII needed for ipcop firewall

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 12 18:21:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 11:21 -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
> Bottom line, going to a '486 is more of a nightmare
> than I would take on by choice. These days Pentium II
> PCs are in the "garbage PC" class, (i.e.: hunt around
> a bit and you can find them being put out with the
> trash), and with the PCI bus are a LOT less pain to
> deal with, and would be my pick for a custom
> firewall...

I'm jumping in a little late here, but was your required for a 486 based
on cost, power or is it technical?

The Mini-ITX form factor can be put in a case with HD, RAM and processor
for about $300. It's fanless with CPU speeds at 500MHz. It's an
integrated M/B with one PCI slot. The M/B is about $150 and comes with
CPU. $25 for RAM, $60 HD, and a case.

--
John Van Ostrand                       Net Direct Inc.
CTO, co-CEO                   564 Weber St. N. Unit 12