time sinchronization

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 11 00:44:05 UTC 2007

On 2/10/07, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> It did work on my computers in the past.
>
> Now, I maintain ubuntu server. That, it seemed, trivial thing, does not
> look
> trivial anymore.
>
> Would someone be kind enough to write a short, basic recipe for that?
>
> What, if any, software should I install? Which ports should be opened? How
> synchronize from command line? Is time.nsrc.ca appropriate for using?
>
> zb.
> --

On Ubuntu the packages you want are: ntpdate (for one off updates),
ntp-server, ntp-simple, and ntp. ntp-server is the one you're likely looking
for, the others should be installed as dependencies. For some reason, Ubuntu
doesn't install the ntp daemon by default, just ntpdate which it uses once
daily I think.

Then edit the /etc/ntp.conf file to your taste. time.nrc.ca,
tick/tock.utoronto.ca, ca.pool.ntp.org and
[0-2].north-america.pool.ntp.orgare all good choices for ntp servers
to sync to.