time sinchronization

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 11 00:00:02 UTC 2007

Ken Burtch wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 15:26 -0500, Sy Ali wrote:
>
>> On 2/10/07, William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>> tock.utoronto.ca is also a good choice.
>>>
>> I thought that was the backup, and that tick.utoronto.ca was the primary..
>>

> I go right to the official source: time.nrc.ca, the National Research
> Council of Canada's atomic clock.

When you install Ubuntu's ntp services, it automatically includes a
pointer to the site ntp.ubuntu.com . It works, but relay times from
Canada are pretty long.

NRC actually maintains two separate time servers, in separate locations
on separate networks, and both are available to the public:

time.nrc.ca
time.chu.nrc.ca

NRC also provides authenticated services for a fee. More info on its
time synchronization services can be found at
http://inms-ienm.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/time_services/network_time_protocol_e.html

(BTW, this document also indicates that the NRC's stratum-1 servers --
the ones talking directly to the atomic clocks -- run Linux.)

If you're only using one, I'd follow Ken's suggestion and sync to
time.nrc.ca. But /etc/ntp.conf (or /etc/ntp/ntp.conf, depending on your
ditribution) can be configured to have multiple servers for redudancy.

- Evan