time sinchronization

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 10 23:46:01 UTC 2007

On Saturday 10 February 2007 17:00, Christopher Browne wrote:
[snip]
> FYI, it seems like a waste of time to me to try to find a server
> geographically nearby.  When I run traceroute, I find that I need
> to go thru Chicago to get back to anything at U(T).  That's going
> to be common for anyone using Bell Sympatico.  I wouldn't be
> surprised if Rogers users would discover similar to be true.

Rogers has decent peering. It's five hops on the Rogers network, all
in Toronto, before I get to Torix and another three to U of T from
there. A couple more hops on the U of T network, and I'm at the end
of the line.

> It appears that Sympatico hasn't any connections to the Toronto
> Internet Exchange (torix.net), which seems silly to me; there ought
> to be value to having direct quick access to geographically nearby
> servers around Toronto.  Of course, they've never been accused of
> being particularly bright...

That they make Rogers look good says a lot about the sad state of
competition, or lack thereof, in this market.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation