Linux People/Advocacy Projects....

Dave Sullivan demsullivan-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 10 01:55:46 UTC 2007

On Friday 09 February 2007 4:53 pm, Colin McGregor wrote:
> Well, let me note where things stand with advocacy
> projects...
>
> I've been a bit slow on talking about the Linux World
> Canada show (which is to be part of the IT360 show
> this year at the Metro Convention Centre). Current
> writing project is an item on RHEL5 (not yet released
> to the general public). Any event, we have a deal with
> the IT360 people, which means we will have a booth at
> the show. I will be announcing a planning meeting once
> I get clear of this project...
>
> Basically I would like a variation on what happened
> last year (which over all worked out quite well). In
> other words tweaks to formula that is working. Some
> changes that may be coming down the pipe will be to
> have our booth next to some other Linux advocacy
> groups (CLUE? Linux International? etc.).
>
> I would also be happy to help start a ball rolling re:
> Software Freedom day in September. Let's start by
> asking questions like "What do we as a group want to
> achieve from Software Freedom day?". Do we want to say
> be encouraging the use of free software on any/all
> platforms (to the point of say handing out CDs with
> say Firefox for Windows)?.
>

> Colin McGregor

Hi Colin,

Ubuntu Toronto whipped together a small event for Software Freedom Day last
year. We handed out CDs and gave a small demo to a handful of people off the
street.

This year, I think it'd be great if the event could be a bit more high
profile. Giving demos of free software -- not just on Linux -- would be
ideal, I think. We could show off OpenOffice and Firefox running on Windows,
and explain the benefits of them.

It might even be a good idea to hand out copies of the Open CD, in addition to
talking about Linux. For those who aren't yet ready to embrace a whole new
OS, encouraging them to use free software on Windows is not a bad idea.

Perhaps we should set up a face-to-face forum where members from various
groups can meet to discuss this project. I've suggested that maybe we could
alternate hosting these talks and discussions between TLUG meetings and
Ubuntu Toronto meetings.

Thoughts?

--
Dave Sullivan