Whenceforth the Ubuntu fanboyz now?

Jane Zhang jane-UlHtTOpGojasTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 9 04:09:03 UTC 2007

As someone who works with non-profits on technology projects, I see way too
often the challenges they face both financially and from a lack of technical
knowledge. My main goal is to make technology more accessible to everyone
and to educate organizations/individuals to utilize technology more
efficiently, thus my interest in FOSS.

>From what I can see, there are at least two gaps in the Linux community
right now. The lack of FOSS advocacy on a community level and the lack of
out reach to youth.

When I first became interested in Open Source advocacy, I found out about
CLUE, but CLUE seems to be involved mainly with the government and policy
makers. There really doesn't seem be a group or organization that's focused
on the promotion of FOSS to the public in the GTA. Ubuntu Toronto is at
least headed in that direction, and I think most of the members would love
to collaborate with the rest of the open source community.

This then brings me to the topic of attracting more young people to the
Linux community. Most true techno-phobic people these days are from the
generation when computers are considered a new phenomenon. The younger
generations grew up with technology so it is second nature to them. They are
going to be the Linux geeks of the future, so let's nourish and mentor their
efforts instead of ripping them a new one for trying. Walk a mile in their
shoes and see where they are coming from might help. In the age of MySpace,
YouTube, and viral marketing, going out to the ICE House with a 10' Tux and
a big smile on your face to promote the benefits of Open Source doesn't
sound *that* embarrassing.

So, let us open up the discussion of collaborating for Software Freedom Day
2007. Teddy, please feel free to respond since you are listed as the rep for
SFD. If not, let's carry on with the planning process anyway. For those of
you who care about FOSS, it's time to make a difference. For those of you
that have wisdom to dispense, show us how it can be done properly. We are
all ears.

Jane
*perhaps too young and idealistic for her own good, but it's not going to
stop her from trying.*