HELP - how to record sound?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 9 19:56:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 10:58:23AM -0500, Manimoto Mushi wrote:
> NOTE: The following request for help was posted to alt.os.linux.slackware
> as well.
>
> I am using Slackware 11.0 + kernel 2.6.19.2. Soundcard is a "SBLive!
> Platinum."
>
> I want to record some cassettes I have and store them as mp3's. So I did
> exactly
> what I did a few years ago in windows...
> 1 - plugged the headphone output from the cassette deck to the "Line In" of
>     sound card. (I know that I could use the desk's Line Out instead but
> the
>     deck is flaky, and the sound output this way is very good).
> 2 - Used "alsamixer" set volume of "Line In" to required level.
> 3 - Verified this worked by playing a cassette and adjusting output level,
> etc.
> 4 - Used "arecord" to record with command: "arecord -f cd -t wav
> outfile.wav"
>
> Now it seems to record, but when I listen to the file there is no sound at
> all.
> Using a sound editor to look at the waveform I just see a straight line,
> confirming that nothing was recorded.
>
> I've played around with all the alsamixer settings to make sure they are as
> should be but nothing.
>
> I then tried in Windows (all I have is Win98) and using the Creative
> utility I
> can record successfully. I want to do this in Linux since its performance
> and
> large file handling are so much better and I don't use windows for anything
> anymore and want to continue like that... :-)
>
> Any one have suggestions as to what I should try? Has anyone a similar setup
> as mine and can record from Line In?

Did you select the line in as the capture source?  Hit tab in alsamixer
to switch to capture view, then go to the line in input, and hit space
to select it as the capture source, or do something like:

amixer -c 0 sset Line,0 unmute cap

It might default to capture from mic or CD input, which would explain
getting no recording.  What you enable for listening is completely
seperate from the capture source.

--
Len Sorensen