HELP - how to record sound?

Manimoto Mushi manimotomushi-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 9 15:58:23 UTC 2007

NOTE: The following request for help was posted to alt.os.linux.slackware as
well.

I am using Slackware 11.0 + kernel 2.6.19.2. Soundcard is a "SBLive!
Platinum."

I want to record some cassettes I have and store them as mp3's. So I did
exactly
what I did a few years ago in windows...
1 - plugged the headphone output from the cassette deck to the "Line In" of
     sound card. (I know that I could use the desk's Line Out instead but
the
     deck is flaky, and the sound output this way is very good).
2 - Used "alsamixer" set volume of "Line In" to required level.
3 - Verified this worked by playing a cassette and adjusting output level,
etc.
4 - Used "arecord" to record with command: "arecord -f cd -t wav
outfile.wav"

Now it seems to record, but when I listen to the file there is no sound at
all.
Using a sound editor to look at the waveform I just see a straight line,
confirming that nothing was recorded.

I've played around with all the alsamixer settings to make sure they are as
should be but nothing.

I then tried in Windows (all I have is Win98) and using the Creative utility
can record successfully. I want to do this in Linux since its performance
and
large file handling are so much better and I don't use windows for anything
anymore and want to continue like that... :-)

Any one have suggestions as to what I should try? Has anyone a similar setup
as mine and can record from Line In?

Thanks for any help.