Whenceforth the Ubuntu fanboyz now?y

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 9 04:16:46 UTC 2007

"Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Tim Writer wrote:
> >
> > I just finished a contract at AMD in Markham (formerly ATI) where they have
> > an Exchange server. I tried the Evolution root, as did a lot of the Linux
> > people there. I spent about a month struggling with it until I finally gave
> > up. IMO, Evolution is good for one thing: showing Windows users how bad
> > Open Source software can be.
>
>      Is that because it tries to emulate Outlook?

No. It's because it's got more serious bugs than features. It loses
settings mysteriously. If you can complete e-mail addresses using the
Global Address List (Exchange terminology), you can't access your shared
calendar. If you can access your shared calendar, you can't complete
addresses. The Exchange connector leaks memory so badly that you have to
restart it half a dozen times daily (this on a system with 1GB RAM). All
the messages in folders disappear and can't be recovered; you can see them
with another IMAP client but not Evolution. It mysteriously stops sending
and receiving (even when it's not using all your RAM). I could go on.

If it was a 0.1 application, I'd say it was promising. Considering it's
"mature", I think it's a disaster and should be dropped from distributions.
A little googling will reveal that I'm not alone.

>      (I've never used either, so I don't know how similar they are.)
>
> --
>     Chris F.A. Johnson                      <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>

tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada