of Hackers, Newbies and Fanboys

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 9 16:08:56 UTC 2007

Recently, the ubuntu-toronto group mobilized around a promotional
opportunity, and pulled off a high profile action, with very little
expense, or lead-time. As a result, the story was picked up by a raft
of online news services worldwide, and the result was overwhelmingly
positive. The only real negative response come from the comments on
MSDN (not surprisingly) and Evan and Marcel. Now MSDN naturally
loathes anything not born of Richmond, but the CLUE contingent
professes a desire to promote linux and open source, so their reaction
is a little more troubling.

thing #1
There exists several distinct OSS enthused groups in Toronto, and
despite the insistence of some who hold hard the "no duplicated
effort" banner, these groups each have reasons to exist, and cannot,
nor should not be dismissed. Each one has something different to
offer, and none satisfy all needs. It is my hope to help reconcile
these differences, and to turn the situation from one of conflict,
competition and frustration, to one of co-operation and mutual
respect. After all, at the end of the day, each group has formed
around the idea of furthering the use of linux and Free Software.

thing#1.1
GTAlug, a.k.a. TLUG is big, established, downtown and is comprised of
members who represent the CompSci old-guard. It is where the
big-propeller geeks gather, and is an incalculably valuable resource.
OTOH, meetings are often on arcane subject matter, of little interest
to Newbies, and the atmosphere can be seen as less than inviting to
those new to linux. Seasoned professional SysAdmins are less likely to
consider non-traditional promotional means, and while containing vast
personal repositories of knowledge and experience, tend to be camera
shy and easily startled.

thing# 1.2
CLUE also features an established old-guard of technologists, but has
avowed to further advocacy to all levels of government and NGOs.
Russell McOrmands ongoing work has been outstanding, and he succinctly
identifies important issues, and responds clearly and forcefully. The
CLUE website features important resources, and is a key aggregation
point for advocacy.
OTOH, principal members of CLUE have recently been pouring negativity
into other groups, imploring some to refocus all energies on CLUE, and
others to simply disband. It is my hope that those people (Evan) can
recognize and respect  other groups right to exists and to act in what
ever manner they see fit. Recent derisive commentary will only serve
to dampen enthusiasm and to lessen interest and in so doing, harm
credibility of (and contributions to) CLUE. This MUST NOT HAPPEN, as
CLUEs activities are vital.

thing #1.3
newTLUG is fresh, vibrant, inviting and serves another geographical
area. We can all learn a thing or two from their meetings, and their
approach, and we should also try also learn from the conditions that
caused this group to split from TLUG, many moons ago.
OTOH, newTLUG does not serve those who don't want to trek an hour
northward, nor those experienced users who are quickly bored by groups
of new user in the throes of discovery.

thing #1.4
ubuntu-toronto and/or ubuntu-ca formed from the fruits of Canonical.
They are official members of a world-wide community, fans of the
code-base and users of a rich development infrastructure. They tend to
be newer users (ubuntu is still young) and bring fresh energy,
enthusiasm and imagination to the mix. While many of them are personal
devotees of ubuntu, they recognize that it it built upon debian, and
that that in turn is but one (if huge) facet of the larger linux
movement worldwide. The ubuntu group tends to have a promotional bent,
continue to demonstrate their willingness to explore new mediums and
methods.
OTOH, because they did not form as splinter groups from existing LUGs,
and their focus is on a single (set of) distribution(s) they may not
be fully aware of existing groups and/or resources.

thing#2
Insults and derision aren't helping. If you disagree with the methods
of one group, name-calling and belittlement only diminish your own
position. Want to alter the focus of a group ? Consider joining it and
effecting change in a positive and constructive manner from the
inside. Bring something better to the table.

As a participant in all of the above LUGs, as well as other open
source related UGs,  I can see clearly how each of the above mentioned
groups has a reason to exist, and a shared desire to see the other
groups maximize their potential, and to help the whole Free Software
ecosystem flourish. Despite divisive and derisive elements in our
midst, it is my strong impression that the consensus is a desire to
see all linux users needs served, with a minimum of effort wasted to
duplicity. I intend to use my position as elected TLUG  board member,
and ubuntu-ca member, to foster co-operation between the "factions".
ubuntu-ca is forming methods and policies to that effect, and I hope
to see GTAlug and NEWtlug do the same. On that note, I would like to
propose a meeting with representatives of each, to discuss ways of
turning this "problem" into an opportunity.

thanks,
David J Patrick

djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
www.linuxcaffe.ca