Whenceforth the Ubuntu fanboyz now?

Stephen Allen kru_tch-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 8 22:22:38 UTC 2007

On 08/02/2007 George Nicol wrote:
> Perhaps not.

Yeah I don't think the Linux desktop is ever going to be reality. It
goes back to understanding what the market that uses Graphical Desktops
want. <ie> Marketing for normal everyday users, as opposed to hacker
culture needs. Nothing wrong with hacker culture though.

Apple has spent litterally millions on getting it pretty close to what
users actually want and like (although not perfect). I don't see Ubuntu
being the solution either.

I've been using Linux for probably a decade or little more (mainly as
server OS). There just isn't the full suite of applications that I need
to use on a daily basis for the Linux desktop to be reality where I work
or at my home.

Like another poster suggested earlier this week, the desktop application
suite has to be developed for Linux, in order for the desktop to be even
a good sell to most people. Unfortuantely that will require  copious
proprietary products being supported by vendors for Linux. I don't see
that happening. :(