IM without a silo?

Thu Feb 8 16:36:04 UTC 2007

I've been using ICQ for instant messaging for a while, via gaim, and it
works fine.  However, I can't send or receive messages from people who
use MSN or AOL or Yahoo! or anything else.  This makes me sad.

The question:  Is there a way to have one IM setup that lets me send and
receive IMs from people in different silos?  I'm delighted to use
Jabber, but I don't want to have to convince anyone else to use it, and
I would prefer not to have to get an account in every silo to give me
the illusion of interoperability.  Is this doable?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William