First impression of Vista

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 8 15:42:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 03:54:52PM -0500, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>     The right way to do it is to offer the user a choice.
>
>     For those have have windows take focus whenever the mouse passes
>     over them, the single menu bar would not work.

The amiga method would.  You right click and the menu for the current
window would appear, which you then select from, and release the button.
The more common left click activated menus everything else seems to use
now would not work well that way.  Of course given how programmers all
like to reinvent the wheel, I doubt they will be willing to give up
control of their menus.  Certainly since X applications are given a
window to run in, and there is no concept of an external menu system, I
doubt it would be easy if at all possible to implement the menu style of
the amiga or mac, unless something like gnome or kde decides all their
programs will use some new window manager feature for menus, but leaving
all other X applications to handle their own menus.

--
Len Sorensen