Linux and Religion

Mike Oliver moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 8 03:44:33 UTC 2007

Christopher Browne wrote:
> On 2/7/07, Mike Oliver <moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Christopher Browne wrote:
>>
>> > This sort of thing applies identically with the following assorted
>> > substitutions:
>> >
>> > s/religion/football team/g
>> > s/religion/operating system/g
>> > s/religion/US political party/g
>>
>> Why *US* political party?  Y'all's parties
>> aren't like that?
>
> But Americans are *deeply* divided in this manner, and have been for a
> terribly long time.  Democrats couldn't *imagine* voting Republican,
> and vice-versa.

That isn't really true.  Sure, there are lots of people
with that sort of party loyalty, but there are also lots
who aren't.

My experience in Canada was that Canadians think they are
very different from Americans but are, in fact, not.  Yes,
the political center is shifted a bit, but that's about
it; on most other matters they are very similar.  The
biggest difference I noted was that they struck me as
a little touchier if you said the wrong thing.  But that
could be more an East/West distinction than North/South.