Trouble in LVM land

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 8 00:30:13 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 12:31, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 12:19:23PM -0500, Merv Curley wrote:
> > Well my good experience with LVM didn't last long.
> >

> > To complicate things   I extended   videolv01  with   hdb.  I doubt that
> > anything has been written to hdb yet since I haven't done much TV
> > watching. I don't know if the trouble might be caused by hdb or not. Can
> > I just disconnect  hdb?
>
> If hdb isn't working, perhaps it can't start the videovg.  What does
> vgdisplay say?  All parts of a volume group must be present to access
> any of it.  VGs spanning multiple devices run the same risks as raid0 in
> that you loose one device, you loose it all.  Generally it is recomended
> that all physical volumes in LVM run raid1 or higher.  That is how I run
> all my LVMs (raid1 devices as the PVs for everything).

I guess I wasn't clear enough.  The booting procedure reaches the point where
udev starts and it first reports

  /dev/rootvg/rootlv01 clean    xxx  files   xxxx blocks
  /boot  clean     xxx files   xxxblocks

  the next group of lines report

no such device or file  /dev/videovg/videolv01      etc etc

   the  videovg group  is just data for mythtv.  The boot procedure stops as
usual and there is the usual ' Type Control-D to continue' but when the mtce
shell is exited, the computer reboots.

I have found that the new Ubuntu finds errors with every drive I have on 4
systems and I see this error regularly.  Suse 10.2, FC-6, Debian, Mepis, and
Kanotix (Debian) never seem to see a problem. I am used to this Control-D
message and exiting the shell.

I can issue no commands,  since booting never finishes.  This has been running
just fine, and had rebooted a number of times with no problems.  There are no
other distro's on the system which is FC-5 based incidentally.

I could use a liveCD to look at the drive, 'cept I have no clue what to look
for.

Does that help, or do I just re-install?     Which might be quicker and less
edifying.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can