First impression of Vista

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 7 20:06:57 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 12:12 -0500, Aaron Vegh wrote:
> But there are two things that I think are brain dead on a Mac,
> 1) why is every apps tool bar on the very top of the screen,
> I have been an apple user since about 1981, and certainly when i got my
> first 128MB Mac, with only running a few apps, and a small screen,
> having a common top pull down menu panel was OK.
> Fast forward to this century, and people have 20-30 apps/windows open,
> and i don't want to be going to the top of the screen for my menus all
> the time.

I'm sorry, but the single menu bar at the top of the screen is the Right Way
(tm) to do it. I can always find it, even if I'm not looking at the screen.
I use linux, windows, and mac os x about equally right now, and I can't tell
you how much I wish for a single menu bar in ubuntu.

2) on the alt tab'ing on a Mac, when you land on a "shrunk"
> app, like in linux dt's it should revert out of "shrunk" state.
> I mean what was apple thinking, you are going to alt tab to a app,
> release on it, and _not_ want to use it?

Yeah, that's silly. Some freeware app out there can probably change that
behavior, but this is a pretty good criticism.

I haven't tried out the whole xgl+whatever experience yet, but from what I
gather, if I still have to use KDE and Gnome, there are likely going to be
usability problems. Gnome as done by Ubuntu is the best I've seen so far.
It's the closest to achieving the consistency needed for a good experience.
But still, I want that single menu bar.

Mike