Linux and Religion

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 7 17:54:05 UTC 2007

--- Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Jane Zhang wrote:
> > Well then, perhaps we can start planning now for
> Software Freedom Day 2007?
> > It's going to be Saturday 15th of September this
> year.
> > http://softwarefreedomday.org/
> >
> Now you're talking!
>
> What can/should TLUG do to play its part in this
> worldwide event?

Well, let's start with parameters. The problem with a
lot of events is they tend to be held in places where
unless you are already a Linux fan you will not hear
about the event (to continue with the Religion theme,
it is like that old expression "preaching to the
choir"). 5th floor of a UofT building may be easy to
get to, but it isn't going to attract the casual
computer user that we would like to reach. So, first
point is we want a venue that is VERY public, say
corner of Bloor/Yonge? Nathan Phillip Square? or
Dundas Square? Sort of place that attracts people...

Second point, we want a short (under 30 second) pitch
that people who would not know an OS from a hole in
the ground can know/understand. We also want a handout
again, short and easy to understand that we can pass
out by the thousands...

What else?

Colin McGregor