Linux and Religion

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 7 15:52:31 UTC 2007

On 2/7/07, John Wildberger <wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> What has Linux to do with Religion?. Nothing !
> And yet, I find myself thinking of how much the mindset of Linuxers has in
> common with religious goals.
> Let me list some of the similarities as they come to mind:
>
> -My religion is better than yours. My distro is better than yours.
> -Any religion other than mine is evil. Any OS other than Linux should be
> shunt.
> -Close your mind to the doctrines and merits of other alternatives.
> -Spread your believes by any means, regardless, if it is asked for or not.
> -Be disparaging and disruptive of the endeavors of those outside your own
> brand
>
> I could go on for more, but I am sure you get the drift.

I have to disagree.

This sort of thing applies identically with the following assorted
substitutions:

s/religion/football team/g
s/religion/operating system/g
s/religion/US political party/g
s/religion/Star Ship Enterprise captain/g
s/religion/computer language/g
s/religion/barbeque style/g
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)