router/printserver/printer recommendations

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 7 15:56:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 10:27 -0500, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> I'm not sure why this something to 'watch out for'. In the model I
> bought (OJ 7130) that's what I got; the printer had parallel and USB
> ports, and the JetDirect fit (exactly) into the parallel port. The
> module was powered by the parallel port so it didn't have its own power
> brick, and it fit nicely in the recess area for the port; it might as
> well be built-in.
>
> If it works as advertised, what's the difference ? I take this as
> _extra_ flexibility, because the numbers of  printers shipped with a
> parallel port these days is shrinking.

It may simply not be what one is expecting. Having a print server
hanging perilously off the back, or not having the ability to SNMP
manage consumables may be things one wants. (I am assuming that one
can't manage consumables with SNMP on these.)

Think of the first Winmodem or Windows GDI printers people bought. Hey
it worked as advertised and may have satisfied most people, but some
would have wanted to know those differences before hand.

--
John Van Ostrand                       Net Direct Inc.
CTO, co-CEO                   564 Weber St. N. Unit 12