router/printserver/printer recommendations

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 7 15:27:56 UTC 2007

John Van Ostrand wrote:
> One thing to watch out for is that some of the HP multi-functions advertise a network model and simply ship an external Jet Direct with
> the standard model printer.

I'm not sure why this something to 'watch out for'. In the model I
bought (OJ 7130) that's what I got; the printer had parallel and USB
ports, and the JetDirect fit (exactly) into the parallel port. The
module was powered by the parallel port so it didn't have its own power
brick, and it fit nicely in the recess area for the port; it might as
well be built-in.

If it works as advertised, what's the difference ? I take this as
_extra_ flexibility, because the numbers of  printers shipped with a
parallel port these days is shrinking.

- Evan