Why Linux is more secure than Windows

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 7 04:36:15 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org <phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311
>
> A graphical display of system calls, comparing the two operating systems.

There's actually also a disanalogy involved...

It's not merely an OS comparison; it is a comparison of how two
different applications (Apache vs IIS) utilize system calls on two
different operating systems.

It seems to me that it would be *very* interesting to see a third
comparison, which could indeed be done, where they graphed the system
calls done when Apache served up a web page on Windows.  No doubt it
would be somewhat different from the other two graphs; it would be
*WAY* more of an OS comparison, since it would take out any
fundamental behavioural differences between IIS and Apache.

It would also be interesting to see how some other web server like WN
or Boa handles things.  We might well discover that Apache's behaviour
is also pretty byzantine and seeming-wasteful...
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)