First impression of Vista

Stephen Allen kru_tch-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 7 03:14:15 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 04:25:30PM -0500, ted leslie wrote:
>
> To me, touch pads, pointer sticks, and track balls are all useless.
> They are less accurate to use (well for fine movement the track ball
> isn't bad, but for going direct to a certain place on the screen, it
> sucks).  If you need any pointing device at all, you probably aren't
> really a power user.  A well setup interface shouldn't have any reason
> for a pointing device in general.  So a graphical browser might need
> ine, but in that case I at least want something accurate that will go to
> whatever part of the screen needed immediately, and you almost never
> need to move back to the keyboard in that case, since you are mostly
> just clicking links and scrolling.

Aren't you guys forgetting about other power users using say Gimp or
Photoshop that need a mouse ? Some tasks such as close cropping,
creating masks, simply cannot be done with just a keyboard. Sometimes
people need to use a tablet for sketching.  Then there is the plethora
of video editors using Maya, Final Cut with three button mice ...

Having said that, I'm a keyboard junkie, but it isn't always possible to
avoid a mouse or other pointing device.

Not everyone uses a computer for programming. :)