router/printserver/printer recommendations

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 7 00:05:57 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 18:04 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Can't go wrong with the network port built in to many printers either.
> An add on print server or network card for a printer is almost always
> way too expensive compared to getting a printer with the feature built
> in in the first place.

In my experience that's not the case. With HP and Okidata that is. The
internal print server is often a couple of hundred dollars more.

There are benefits to having an internal print server though, which may
be why they are priced at a premium. The internal ones will expose
consumable levels via SNMP so that you can monitor them centrally. While
this is useful for larger organizations. The main value to SOHO is the
simplicity, no extra printer cable, power supply and extra device.

--
John Van Ostrand                     Net Direct Inc.
CTO, co-CEO                 564 Weber St. N. Unit 12