First impression of Vista

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 6 23:44:39 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 18:09 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 04:25:30PM -0500, ted leslie wrote:
> > Yeah i guess honestly this is where i am in a extremely small minority,
> > I choose to adopt a thumb touchpad keyboard many years ago,
> > i mean to me, i hate to say it, if you have to move your
> > hands off the touch typing position and grab a mouse, you immediately
> > get invalidated as a power user. People some times sit down at my desk
> > and want to use my computer to show me something and usually state the
> > same thing, how can you use this!?, in a mere movement of 2 cm's with
> > the thumb your running from screen edge to screen edge, so for me the
> > mouse physics and fitt's doesn't apply, as I get where i want to go so
> > much faster because i am there before most people have gotten half way
> > to even reaching for the mouse to start the process. I even emailed and
> > inquired about the head point system where you wear the hat, or stick
> > little circles on your head and a detector senses your head movement and
> > moves the mouse cursor, but its not too supported to linux yet, else
> > probably my thumb pad would be a thing of the past. I even looked at
> > those binary keyboard balls, ..... don't get me started :) ....
> > anyways based on my extreme ways what I require is going to be perhaps
> > in a vast minority.
> > The problem with short cut keys is if you use them very rarely ....
> > use it or lose it.
> > For me I find the best thing is the Slickedit approach, where you have
> > mouse/pulldowns, etc but as you want it you can assign everything to
> > keyboard short cuts, so you can grow at your own pace.
>
> To me, touch pads, pointer sticks, and track balls are all useless.
> They are less accurate to use (well for fine movement the track ball
> isn't bad, but for going direct to a certain place on the screen, it
> sucks).  If you need any pointing device at all, you probably aren't
> really a power user.  A well setup interface shouldn't have any reason
> for a pointing device in general.  So a graphical browser might need
> ine, but in that case I at least want something accurate that will go to
> whatever part of the screen needed immediately, and you almost never
> need to move back to the keyboard in that case, since you are mostly
> just clicking links and scrolling.

I am there! or i tried to be, some time ago i downloaded a version of
firefox that had every clickable thing on the web page assigned to a
keyboard letter/number, no mousing in the web page, take about finding
heaven. ... but then i go to a flash page, dhtml page, complicated html,
etc,etc
experiment aborted, back to touch pad. That "well setup interface" (for
a poweruser) if you ever find it, let me know.
6-7 years ago I even setup dragon speaking (whatever its called), when i
was a windows desktop user, so i could speak out my desktop UI commands,
i had limited success, and people in the ofifce thought i was nutz,
when i went to linux, i look up that technology for linux, only to find
IBM dropped the ball on it (on linux). also if your on the phone, and
trying to use desktop via voice, that also doesn't work so good.
So I am not without trying to find this utopia you speak off :)

-tl