router/printserver/printer recommendations

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 6 23:25:19 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 03:11:19PM -0500, John Van Ostrand wrote:
>
>> You can't go wrong with a Jet Direct.
> Can't go wrong with the network port built in to many printers either.
> An add on print server or network card for a printer is almost always
> way too expensive compared to getting a printer with the feature built
> in in the first place.

What they said. I´ve now had an Officejet 7130 for almost three years
and it's needed nothing except ink and one replacement ($50) printhead.
At the time, $650 seemed pricey but it had a JetDirect built-in and
duplex too. Well supported under Linux by HP, though I wish I could
receive faxes into the PC.

Since then I've been involved in the install of some newer Officejets
and they seemed to work fine too.

As for routers, what about those Linksys units that can be flashed with
Linux?

- Evan