First impression of Vista

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 6 18:56:08 UTC 2007

When i a was doing my Masters of Math at waterloo,
i took a grad course in UI, from Bill Cowan, i wonder if he is still
there? you're there is see, name ring a bell? he was an excellent prof.
he is probably retired by now.

Anyways one of the things we did, is do UI tests, and count number of
feet the mouse moved over the source of a sessions. Popup menus at the
mouse point on the middle and right click was pretty popular (common
back then).

Now back in 1991, on  a SGI, our mind set at the time was, 1-2 apps,
actaully mostly one, and we'd measure mouse movement distances,etc.
more from the point of view of tool panels for a app.

I can see your point, but then I have been a dual head 3200x1200
desktop'r for some time and redundant (not sure that is even correct)
menus on each app, isnt so bad,
now with the cheaping on montiors, especially digital paper coming into
play in the next year or two, a 400$ 30"  2560x1440 5lbs monitor is
going to be relatively soon (its about 1800$ now and 20 lbs), so i would
argue the issue of desktop menu saving space will be right out the
window at that time, and with such a bigger desktop, you will get bitten
even harder with that Mac top menu way of doing things.
For a power user, the old original X way of a right or middle click for
menus is actually pretty efficient, but boring.

-tl