First impression of Vista

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 6 17:12:57 UTC 2007

Hi all,
I thought I would provide my own impressions on Vista, in line with the parent.

I'm running it in a virtual machine on my MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo
2.3GHz). Performance is pretty good, but I wanted to address the whole
"look and feel" thing that's been commented upon. As a Mac OS X user,
you'll already know that I appreciate beauty and ease of use in an
operating system. So you'll know where I'm coming from when I say that
the whole Beryl/Compiz/XGL nexus holds little for me. It's eye candy
without the matching ease of use. It doesn't functionally change the
way you use a KDE/Gnome desktop.

Ditto for Vista. There's a fresh coat of paint on it, but it works
fundamentally the same as Windows XP. Once you use it you'll find
there's little to no learning curve. They talk about revolution, but
the new OS is merely evolutionary. Don't misread me: there's nothing
terribly wrong with that. But I get my hackles up when people talk
about slick-looking interfaces and ignore the usability. In this
regard, I've actually found Vista to be a step down in some instances.

I believe this is a great opportunity for open source operating
systems to step up; but they should play the hand of "better, more
reliable computing experience", rather than eye candy.

Cheers,
Aaron.