Fwd: Ubuntu Ice House: Repeat Event Today!

Stephen Allen kru_tch-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 5 20:41:54 UTC 2007

Jamon Camisso wrote:

> Nothing embarrassing about the event hitting the front page of digg a 2
> times in as may days. Nor is there anything embarrassing about 1600+
> hits per hour with a peak of 11,000 per hour at one point on my tiny xen
> server hosting my photos of the event and Dave Sullivan's post-event
> wrapup. 77,000 hits in 2 days and counting...

<snip>

> I think there may be more of a generation gap at work here than any of
> us care to admit. However, repeating the past in an iteratively
> improving fashion isn't a bad thing if there are improvements to be made
> (IMHO of course). So trotting out a cliche like that lends your argument
> little force, rhetorical or otherwise.

Caveat: I'm in the advertising/marketing business. :)

TLinux needs quality advertising and endorsements. This grass roots
thing isn't effective, (in this case) because it reinforces the stereo
type that Linux enthusiasts are nothing but hobbyists, poor students or
geeks.

Not that there is anything wrong with either of those, but you get my
drift, I'm sure.

Judging the success of your endeavour by how many digg hits or visits to
your personal blog, doesn't mean much in the real world.

Now, if you got some publicity on the main stream blogs or media (as
long as it's good publicity) that would be rather successful, in my view.

The kind of advertising that Linux requires,(IMO) is the kind geared
towards decision makers, and definitely NOT the kind were you're
essentially, crashing another's party.

That's pretty negative in my book -- I don't know many people that are
that impressed with the type of advertising that happened on the weekend
(outside the ice house). In my mind it's no different than being a
Jehovah Witness, or an Evangelical, passing out tracts on the street
corner, it's just about as effective.

I'm not really sure that Geeks are the best suited for this type of
work. There generally is a reason why Marketing is separate from
Engineering. So obviously I don't think LUGs are good for this either. ;)

It really has nothing to do with a perceived "generation gap", more in
knowing how to sell to your customer.