Fwd: Ubuntu Ice House: Repeat Event Today!

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 5 19:02:23 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> David J Patrick wrote:
>> To those of you who felt that is was a cheap publicity stunt, (cost,
>> including CDs pamphlets, a new 12v supply and cab fare ~ $245.00)
>> and/or that it was an embarrassment to the community, I would like to
>> say "hey lighten up and have a little FUN!".
> Hey, nothing says that it couldn't be both fun _and_ an embarrassment!

Nothing embarrassing about the event hitting the front page of digg a 2
times in as may days. Nor is there anything embarrassing about 1600+
hits per hour with a peak of 11,000 per hour at one point on my tiny xen
server hosting my photos of the event and Dave Sullivan's post-event
wrapup. 77,000 hits in 2 days and counting...

http://dave-sullivan.com/entries/5/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66336472@N00/

2,500+ views on those photos and counting, so washout and embarrassment
it was not.

>> Get used to it, Enjoy it.
> Hey, it's your $245, for the right to stand outside of someone else's
> party in -20 windchill, and remind passers-by why you weren't invited.
> Have a blast. If I'm going to be voluntarily out in that kind of weather
> I'd better be wearing skis or helping the homeless.

Why would we be invited in any situation? We had a blast and the weather
made it that much more of a memorable experience. Saturday was colder
too from what I hear...

>> The days of linux and Free Software belonging to us geek elite, are
>> nearly over. Can you say "mainstream"?
>
> Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

The implication there being that we have now condemned ourselves to some
terrible future repetition of a horrific past in GNU/Linux's history?
Huh? Don't know what you're referring to there.

I think there may be more of a generation gap at work here than any of
us care to admit. However, repeating the past in an iteratively
improving fashion isn't a bad thing if there are improvements to be made
(IMHO of course). So trotting out a cliche like that lends your argument
little force, rhetorical or otherwise.

Jamon