David, please tell me you weren't part of this...

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 2 23:34:55 UTC 2007

Marcel Gagne wrote:
> Not sure who David is, but I'll keep the subject line intact for threading
> purposes.

I was referring to David Patrick of Linuxcaffe, which was never
mentioned by name but clearly the venue of the eavesdropping and the
location of Ubuntu advocacy meetings.

The 10-foot penguin belongs to Linuxcaffe, I believe, and was last seen
IIRC at last years' TLUG picnic. I haven't seen it in person but saw a
picture of it at the last TLUG exec meeting.

> If people want to stand a respectable distance outside the ice house, blow up their inflatable Tux, educate a few people about Linux and open source, and hand out CDs, that's their right and I don't have any trouble with that. If, however, the article is representing fact and people actually meant to trespass, disrupt Microsoft's demo, and cause property damage, we have a serious problem on our hands.

Even the tactic of a press stunt of crashing the Windows event has
limited value anymore. Given the speed at which people can download CDs
if they want the software, the value of distributing disks isn't what it
used to be.

Compounding the problem is that Ubuntu crowd are obsessed with building
up the Ubuntu "brand", as distinct from promoting generic Linux.
Otherwise, Ubuntu Toronto would be a SIG of TLUG (like NewTLUG) rather
than a completely independent group. Before unsubscribing I practically
begged Ubuntu folks to participate more with the larger community, only
to be largely ignored.

Maybe it's just as well. I totally share Marcel's sentiment,

- Evan